by: Ron Zachariasen
We were designed for deep and long-lasting relationships with others and God. Sin entered the world in the Garden of Eden and with it came a longing for relationships resulting in loneliness. The good news is, God cares about your loneliness. God, through Christ, promises believers that we are never alone. The triune God is in us and around us all the time and in every location on the planet. God has provided for the lonely heart by supplying us with His word, the church and prayer to fill our relationship needs.
Digging deeper into loneliness
What scripture says:
- Psalm 73:23-26 — God is continually with us. His strength and counsel guides us always.
- John 15:16-17– We did not choose God. He chose us.
- Matthew 28:18 — Jesus will be with us until the end of the age.
- Hebrews 13:5-6 — God will never leave us or forsake us.
- Romans 15:13 — Our God is a God of hope, joy, peace and power.
- Romans 5:3 — Trials produce endurance, character and hope.
- Romans 8:38-39 — Nothing can separate us from the love of God.
More resources that speak about loneliness:
- WATCH this sermon by Pastor John Piper on Loneliness
- READ this essay titled “Being Lonely Is Not The Same As Loneliness”
- LISTEN to this podcast titled “Fighting Loneliness in the Coronavirus Outbreak”
- Consider purchasing and reading the following books:
- “Help! I’m So Lonely” by Deborah Howard *Stonebridge has a limited number of these in stock. $4 suggested donation. Call or email to claim your copy*
- “Finding God in My Loneliness” by Lydia Brownback
- “The Path of Loneliness: Finding Your Way Through the Wilderness to God” by Elisabeth Elliot
Application and exercise:
- Pray that God would help you find relationships.
- Pray that God would show you how to serve Him while being lonely.
- Make a list of all the blessings you have right now and thank God for each one.
- Memorize Romans 15:13. Be creative and turn it into a prayer.
- Memorize your favorite hymns/worship songs and sing your heart out to the Lord. He is listening.
Bible Reading Plans: